Resurgent Fire Eventually Put Out at Samut Prakan Factory

After the fire that raged through a plastics factory in Samut Prakan’s Bang Phli district was brought under control, flames erupted again amid the smoking ruins of the Ming Dih Chemical early evening on Tuesday.

According to the Jor Sor 100 traffic radio, the new fire broke out around 4:00 p.m.

Firefighters took more than 24 hours to put out the original fire, which followed an explosion recorded around 3:00 a.m. Monday. Experts stopped their work after intermittent flare-ups, which lasted from early Monday morning until Tuesday morning, were completely blown out.

Around 5:00 a.m. Tuesday, they announced the blaze was under control.

However, firefighters had to sprayed flame retardant foam just hours later, amid evening rain and high winds, to control the resurgent fire at the Taiwanese-owned factory.

What happened on Soi King Kaew 21?

Blaze and tragedy swept through the factory after a powerful explosion that could be heard for miles and blew out nearby buildings’ doors and windows. According to official reports, an 18-year-old volunteer firefighter died after getting caught in the surging flames that originated in the chemical warehouse.

Another 45 people were injured, including 12 volunteer firefighters and 12 civilians.

Moreover, the media reported that the fire damaged 73 houses and 15 cars in the surrounding community. Also, about 1,900 residents of homes within a five-kilometer radius site were evacuated to eight temporary shelters.

Authorities warned people that the smoke and fumes were toxic, telling residents that their homes were still not safe to return on Tuesday morning.

Subsequent fires.

Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Thamanat Prompow and Samut Prakan governor Wanchai Kongkasem inspected the factory shortly before Monday midnight.

They told reporters that specialized technicians from the PTT OR Plc facility in Si Racha, Chon Buri, could close the valves on the three remaining chemical tanks in Ming Dih, reducing the risk of facing subsequent explosions.

Soon after, authorities claimed the blaze was under control.

However, around 12:30 p.m., the simmering fire broke out again among the burning wreckage of the factory premises. Firefighters answered the emergency call and sprayed water and chemical foam on the smoking debris again.

All that remains from the Ming Dih Chemical Co are the twisted metal frames of its structures and the charred debris of its warehouses, which were destroyed by fire and explosion.