Autopsy Reveals Drug Suspect’s Death Caused by Suffocation

On Monday, autopsy results revealed that the suspect who passed away in police custody last week in Nakhon Sawan province did not die from drugs.

Pol Col Anek Taosuparb, the officer who leads the investigation panel into his death, said Jeerapong Thanapat died of suffocation.

Drug traces were found on his body, but they did not kill him, authorities explained.

Jeerapong and his wife were arrested and taken to the police station on August 4, after an anti-drug squad of the Muang Nakhon Sawan police posed as potential buyers.

They were later taken to their home in the province’s Takhli district as the couple reportedly had amphetamines and a stash of ice.

Officers found nothing in his home and took them back to the police station for questioning.

The next day, the incident shown in the video clip, where Jeerapong was suffocated, happened.

Pol Col Thitisant Utthanaphon, chief of the station, was not in the sting operation or arrest but joined the investigation during the session.

He said that several plastic bags were placed on the suspect’s head to prevent him from seeing his face. Later, when Jeerapong tried to tear the bags, he allegedly ordered his subordinates to use more and tie his hands behind his back.

Officers stopped when Jeerapong started showing signs of lacking oxygen. One team member, Pol Lt Torranin Maswanna, quickly performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on him.

The young suspect was taken to Princ Paknampo Hospital by car while Captain Pol Thitisant followed him in another vehicle.

As they headed to the hospital, Pol Lt Torranin continued giving Jeerapong CPR. However, ER doctors said his pulse could not be found.

Pol Col Thitisant told hospital staff that the suspect had passed out and was not breathing when the police caught him.

Jeerapong died at the Sawanpracharak Hospital at 1:20 p.m. August 6.

The hospital first cited drug abuse as a possible cause of death but wrote it could also have been caused by asphyxiation.

But an autopsy was ordered, as the law requires for death in custody.

Pol Col Thirasant, known to his colleagues as Jo Ferrari, turned himself in on Thursday without asking for bail. Six police officers from the police station surrendered or were arrested earlier.

Pol Col Thirasant and Pol Lt Torranin were charged with murder and three other minor charges. They could face the death penalty.