Officers Who Killed Drug Suspect Charged by Police

The Thai Royal Police Office has brought four charges against seven police officers involved in a case of a drug suspect who died while in custody at Muang Nakhon Sawan station.

The station chief, who is under another investigation for smuggled luxury cars’ sale and possession, also faces charges in the young man’s death.

According to Royal Thai Police’s deputy commissioner Pol Gen Suchart Theerasawat, the seven police officers have been charged with abuse of authority, malfeasance, coercion, and torture causing death.

Both the police case report and the charges will be handed over to prosecutors today, Pol Gen Suchart stated.

Muang Nakhon Sawan Station’s officers involved in the case are Pol Col Thitisan Utthanaphon, the former station chief, Pol Maj Rawirot Ditthong, Pol Capt Songyot Khlainak, Pol Lt Thoranin Matwanna, Pol Sen Sgt Maj Suphakon Nimchuen, Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wisut Bunkhiew, and Pol L/C Pawikon Khammarew.

The police have also launched an investigation into Pol Col Thitisan’s involvement in around 400 contraband vehicles’ seizures. Investigators have already found suspicious records of several cars and irregularities in payments of rewards for the seizure.

The case also involves customs officials and other people related to Pol Col Thitisan, better known as Joe Ferrari, the national police’s deputy chief clarified.

During a raid on Pol Col Thitisan’s luxurious home, the police seized around 130 million baht in assets, including 24 vehicles worth 70 million baht, a mansion worth 57 million baht in Bangkok’s Bang Chan sub-district, a 1.5 million baht condo, and 18 guns worth 720,000 baht.

Royal Thai Police Office’s commissioner Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk said authorities had not determined whether the former station superintendent would be dismissed or expelled from the force.

Pol Col Thitisan turned himself in to the police on August 26, after a video showed how he and six subordinates tortured Chiraphong Thanapat, a 24-year-old drug suspect, to death. Officers put plastic bags on the victim’s head, suffocating him while reportedly trying to extort his money.