ADVERTISEMENT

ShowbizRoyals

Prince Andrew ‘Served’ in Relation to Giuffre Rape Case

The Queen’s son, Prince Andrew, has been served legal documents at his home in Windsor, England, regarding a rape and sexual assault civil case.

According to a document filed Friday, lawyers for Jeffrey Epstein’s accuser, Virginia Roberts Giuffre -who also claimed the Duke of York raped her as a teenager- served him with a writ.

An agent working on Giuffre’s behalf said he had served an affidavit to police officers on the royal property, who said the material would be “forwarded on to the legal team.”

The day before, the agent tried to deliver the papers but was reportedly rebuffed as the staff had been “primed” not to accept any documents. However, when Giuffre’s legal representative returned on August 27, police officers outside Andrew’s official residence “Royal Lodge” changed their minds.

Virginia Roberts Giuffre has claimed she was a victim of Jeffrey Epstein, who faced pedophilia and sex trafficking charges.

On August 9 this year, she filed a lawsuit against the Duke of York in a federal court in Manhattan, New York.

Giuffre alleged that she was forced to have sex with Queen Elizabeth II’s son three times when she was 17 years old.

Prince Andrew has repeatedly denied the allegations. Also, during an interview with the BBC in 2019, he said he had no memory of meeting Giuffre. However, a photo taken at the London townhouse of Epstein’s alleged partner, Ghislaine Maxwell, showed the royal smiling as he put their arm around the now 38-year-old woman’s waist.

After receiving the court papers delivered on Friday, the defendant has 21 days to respond or face a default judgment, but a judge is expected to extend the response time since the duke is not in the United States.

The first hearing in the case is scheduled to take place on Monday, September 13, at 09:00 p.m. local time in a conference call before a Manhattan judge.

However, yesterday’s night, Prince Andrew’s lawyers claimed that the papers had not been properly served and plan to boycott the court hearing on the allegations brought by Giuffre.

Local media reported that the royal’s legal team expected the rape case to be dismissed on a technicality.

Furthermore, after weeks of silence, his solicitor Gary Bloxsome said in a legal filing that the papers Giuffre signed in 2009 could make her action invalid, suggesting how the prince and his team would respond to fighting the case.

Prince Andrew’s lawyers now try to access such documents, which Giuffre signed through de US courts, as they consider those papers may prevent the rape case from progressing.